Thursday, December 2, 2010

SCHOOL LIFE: Last week at school


 Over the past week I didn't seen much class time, at least not anything noteworthy. Monday I attended Civic/Personal Law, vainly attempting to understand parts of the lecture. The most noteworthy moment of the period was the professor asking if the clearly overheated classroom was too hot. Next period in Chinese it was more learning Chinese. Following that was Technical Japanese in which students reviewed for a test coming the next week, which I will be given a special exception due to my lack of familiarity with Chinese characters. I'll let you know how that turns out.
 Tuesday in first period, "Comparative Cultures", the professor went over a comparison between Japanese and Americans attitudes and lines of thought. The main purpose of the lecture was to study how Japanese people behave within their own culture. I could not get the complete details of the lecture at the time, but have been going over a copy of the slides for language study. There were also segments of a drama shown and how the dramatic points of the drama represent certain aspects of Japanese culture, and with the drama being based on a Japanese play, how the dramatic arc of the play corresponds to Japanese culture.
 In second period, "Intercultural Communication", facial expressions were studied and there were videos of interview applicants, three Americans and three Japanese, and students were to choose who of the six applicants would be chosen for a scholarship.
 Third period "Interchanging Societies" was more studies on living conditions in Japan.
 Thursday: I gave a presentation on the Folk Song Club in "Japanese Language/Culture". I will post the slides here soon. It went well.
 The next period "Civic/Private Law" was more lecturing on what I don't understand.
 Third period: See last note on "Interchanging Societies".
 I missed seminar class that day.
 As you can see, I have been late in completing this entry on what happened in class two weeks ago. Classes have gotten to a grinding point of largely more of the same old, same old. I can see why Japanese students don't feel the need to go to class. I certainly see how being in a club activity distracts from any academics as well. More on this in the final entries and reports of the quarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment