Tuesday, May 18, 2010

LANGUAGE UPDATE: New Kanji and what I am learning



 I won't lie: I've broken the promise on the ten-new-kanji per day deal. It shouldn't be so hard and I should have gotten it done, but well, I'm just so lazy. Just as keeping a daily blog, which I fortunately didn't promise, I am terrible at doing anything on a fixed schedule. But I have been trying, at least. Here is eighty more characters I've been practicing:
4/26/2010
4/27/2010
4/29/2010
4/30/2010
5/8/2010
5/11/2010
---
5/16/2010
 Also, to give you an idea of what my learning process of these kanji looks like:

  Sorry that the image isn't flipped right-side up... but you get the picture (no pun intended). I write all the readings, and then as many words that use the kanji character as I can fit into the allotted spaces for each character. I still need to come up with a review system that I can stick to for these characters I have already learned.
Count so far: 200 kanji
 ---
 Aside from the kanji studies, I have been receiving Japanese instruction in regular classes at school. These classes cater to economics students, as well they should, and I receive occasional assignments from professors that are more on my level. The knowledge of vocabulary that the other exchange students have, all of whom are Chinese, is extraordinary compared to mine (I still have them beat on regular conversation, though). This makes it intimidating when the other students read essays and articles that contain no phonetic-readings for the kanji characters with relative ease. It's natural because they recognize the characters from their own language and likely have the pronunciations based on character-radicals down well. It's during times like this that inspire me to step up my own learning process for Japanese.
 The best practice for Japanese, however, comes from writing essays. I've written a couple so far and there are a lot more down the road. As I finish these essays I will post pictures of them to give an idea on what I'm writing, the length, etc. Below is a part of a piece that I typed out, as a rough-draft, for class. The Japanese grammar is pretty poor as far as I can tell, and it certainly wasn't my best piece of writing regardless of the language. The subject was on how multi-cultural societies can build harmony in spite of cultural differences. My opinion was that multicultural harmony can only be improved through time, along with appropriate actions by the ethnic and cultural groups that are being neglected or oppressed, and that in time people become accustomed to people of different cultures and either accept them or tolerate their presences (not all of this is included in the partial draft below; when I get the essay I turned in back I'll post a picture of it). What I wrote in Japanese, of course, could not fully encompass such a complex topic, and I made sure to acknowledge this in the course of my essay. In the end, however, as I do enjoy writing in English (when I get around to it), I truly enjoyed writing in Japanese. Once I get my motivation and drive up, I'll be sure to improve my writing skills and overall language abilities in Japanese. I'll be sure to show you whatever I do in order to meet this goal.

多文化共生として、どのように調和すればいいのかかなり複雑である。私の意見は主に、時間が過ごすと多文化共生が調和になる。確かに未来は不確定だけど、多文化共生の社会の差別は異なる文化に無知している人々から生まれると思う。例えば、無知の中から差別、先入観、異なる文化の憎しみなどが生まれて、誰かが権威を溜めるために同じ文化、ethnicityなどである無知を搾り取って、多文化共生の問題が広がる。しかし、異なる文化に理解がある社会にはそういう問題が減って、多文化共生がよくなると思う。他の文化の無知が無くなると、「コスモポリタニズム」も増えてくると思う。「コスモポリタニズム」というのは自分の国、文化よりのIDENTITYは「世界人」ということである。「コスモポリタニズム」があっても、別に文化が無くなることではなく、異なる文化が人々の個人的な趣味、興味などの違いのレベルになると思う。しかし、どのように人々の無知が消えるのだろうか。外国に行ったりとか、自分の国で異なる文化の人に知ることが出来たりとか、そのように無知が無くなるが、主にマスメディアでは人々が他の文化を知る。

No comments:

Post a Comment